For our second day in Chile, we actually decided to take a trip out to wine country. Wanting to see some of the more boutique wineries instead of the more tourist wineries, we decided to rent a car and drive out to the Casablanca Valley appellation to the West of Santiago (known for their Chardonnay and Sav. Blanc.).
When it rains it pours
As we wake up in the morning, we see that it’s raining a
little bit out, but decide to not let that spoil a day of wineries. Walking out
through the rain, we get a little bit
wet walking to grab some breakfast and notice that it’s starting to pick up as
we’re heading to the metro station. At this point, we know we only have six
blocks to walk on the other side of the metro, so we decide to go ahead with
the metro and walk the last six blocks.
Somewhere inside the metro ride, the rain went from “moderate sprinkle”
to “start building an ark” territory, so that when we get to the other side,
there are small lakes of water across every road between the metro and the car
rental agency. Seeing this, and still a little damp from the first part of the
journey, we decide to hail a cab for the last six blocks. Even just standing to
hail the cab, I can feel the water soaking into my shoes and soaks, approaching
the point of full saturation. BUT, we get a cab and he sets off while I pull up
the address. It takes a block or two to pull up the address on my phone, and
when I show it to him, he realizes it’s on the other side of the road and in
the other direction, and then HE REFUSES TO GO THERE. WTF?!?! You just drove us
two blocks in the wrong direction and now you won’t even go there? That’s
messed up. So now we’re two MORE from our destination in rains that belong in
the bible, and we’re on a side of the road where cabs won’t actually go to our
destination. Great. Walking the two blocks back to the metro station, I reach
my full on “fuck it” point (or saturation point, so to speak) of wetness, where
I realize, that I’m so saturated that the water trapped between my clothes and
me is actually protecting me from the coldness of the new water. Kinda like a
wet suit? Giving up on the taxi idea, we decide to just walk it.
So at this point, I’m as bold as a motherfucker: lake-like
puddles no longer matter; torrential rain no longer matters; I start to laugh
at people with umbrellas; if I can cross a street without getting hit by a car
I’m going to do it; there may have been some smiling and maniacal laughter.
With this attitude, we eventually made it to the car rental agency and filled
out all of the paperwork, being careful not to drip on anything.
Wine Country
After a pit stop at the apartment to do some drying, we were
on our way to wineries for some lovely wine and food. After the first winery
(Quintay, great wines!) everybody’s spirits were lifted and we made the most of
the day, fitting in three wineries in the late morning and afternoon. I’ll let
the pictures do the talking.
A Fortunate Mistake
After our last winery (Bodega RE, HIGHLY recommended: doing
really interesting blends), I take my turn at the wheel with Sabrina on navigation.
I’m getting the grasp of driving manual for the first time since last August
and second time in probably 10 years. The way back should literally be a
straight shot on 68 back to Santiago, all we have to do is make the right turn
out of the winery. So, of course, we get about 20 minutes out and I realize
that I haven’t seen a sign for Santiago. Rut Roah, Scooby. Checking the map,
we’ve now gone 20 minutes further West and are about 20 minutes outside of the
oceanfront town of Viña del Mar; so we make an executive decision to just drive
to the coast, walk around and have dinner, and then head back! Yay for
adventures!
Reaching the coast, we park, cross the little beachfront
road, and in a fit of craziness, I make a made dash for the ocean. Color me
weird, but I have a thing about liking to touch the ocean in different places,
and my shoes/socks are still wet from the morning so there’s not much to lose.
So after a brief stint at the beach (at 7 at night, completely dark), we crash
another Italian restaurant for some coffee, to steal their wifi, and figure out
some good places to eat. Joey, our connoisseur of everything food and drink,
comes up with an amazing and cheap place just 15minutes up the coast from Viña
del Mar in Concon and we decide to make the trek. Why not? We’re already off
track, might as well give it another 15 minutes
With the ocean at our left and some small towns to our
right, we trek up the coastline and find a nice little seafood restaurant on
the water (the one Joey had picked out was closed, but there was one right next
door that had a fire and looked decent). We order more than our fill of great
seafood and are the only people there with the exception of one large table,
which seems to be a birthday part of some sort for a local family. So with the
sounds of children’s laughter, a crackling fire, and the ocean, we enjoyed a
lovely and fresh seafood smorgasbord.
Sleep is for the weak
Now that we’re a significant distance out from Santiago, we
leave Concon, and get back on the road to Santiago at 10:30 or so. We get going
on the right track (after one or two errant turns), and make it back to
Santiago at about 12:20am. Knowing that I haven’t packed and that I have a 6am
flight out to Venezuela, I decide to just push through, catch a 4am cab to the
airport, and sleep on the plane. So, I say good night to Sabrina and Joey (who
were staying in Santiago), and get to work packing and catching up on emails
and future hotel bookings to keep me up until my next flight.
On some level, I’m a little worried about just how long it’s
going to take me to catch a cab at 4am. So I finish up packing at 3:30 and head
down with my trusty backpack. In my 3hours of planning since getting back from
wine country and the ocean, I had managed to find a site where you can
“reserve” a taxi to the airport, but somewhere in the translation of the page
and the dodginess of the site, I’m still not sure my reservation went through.
I walk out, stand on the corner and wait. I swear, not 20 seconds after I
started standing on that corner, a normal cab pulls up AND LETS SOMEBODY OUT
GOING INTO MY ADDRESS. What are the odds that somebody would be getting dropped
off at my address at 3:30 in the morning, freeing up a taxi for me to take to the
airport?!?! I mean really, I’d like to figure that one out. Not only that, but
the cabbie quotes me 600 pesos less than I was going to pay for booked cab;
thank you trip karma (although my shoes are still damp).
Half asleep, being kept awake by the threat of imminent
death from the way the cabbie is driving, I make it to the airport in plenty of
time to sail through immigration and security. Needless to say, I passed out
before we were wheels up, and woke up in Lima. Who says that teleportation
doesn’t exist?

These pictures are pretty legit, man! These are some good chapters to add to the Barnes Biography later on down the road.
ReplyDelete